Thursday, February 2, 2012

Interview with Mikolaj Trzaska - part I

with Clementine Gasser. Alchemia, march 2007
Mikolaj Trzaska is as sincere and open while speaking as he is when playing. Initially bit shy, he's a passionate storyteller, he speaks his thoughts clear and without beating around the bush, thinking on the spot, digging inside himself and while you listen to him you have a feeling he's rediscovering new ideas at any corner, he may say he finished his answer and then he continues for another couple of minutes. This interview took place before his solo concert in Alchemia on 29.11.11 (written briefly about in here). I hope you'll find it interesting. ( ps many thanks to Katarzyna Dziubinska for some translations suggestions).



1. Jakbyś miał przedstawić się w kilku zdaniach, powiedzieć komuś co robisz?

Jakbym miał wytłumaczyć ludziom czym się zajmuje? (śmiech) Co ja robię w muzyce? Wiesz, to chyba jest dla mnie bardzo trudne, ale spróbujmy.
Będę mówił z perspektywy polskiej, w tym sensie, że u nas w kraju muzyka improwizowana jest czymś ciągle mało znanym. Jesteśmy, muzycy improwizujący, ciągle uważani za ludzi, którzy nie dokonali sami wyboru, ale raczej skazani na to czy to przez swój brak umiejętności, czy niemożność dostosowania się do muzyki powszechnie panującej. Ale miało być o sobie, ok.

Jestem saksofonistą, nie kompozytorem, ale raczejrobiaczemmuzyki, ja robię muzykę, zajmuję się sklecaniem muzyki. Nie komponuje jej, w takim sensie, czasem biorę papier i piszę. Raczej buduję muzykę, po prostu ona wynika u mnie z pracy, z praktyki, ze słyszenia mojego, wewnętrznego. Robię muzykę, którą wewnętrznie słyszę, że ona we mnie jest a ja wyłapuję z przestrzeni, nie chcę już mówić jakiej, i próbuję przetłumaczyć i wydać z siebie po prostu. Staram się robić to w ten sposób, żeby, ten portret muzyki, który trzymam w sobie, żeby oddać go jak najwierniej. To znaczy żeby było w tym jak najmniej cwaniactwa, jak najmniej jakiejś przymilności, żeby muzyka, którą gram była czystym odzwierciedleniem moich myśli i mojego świata emocji.
I liczę na to, że tego typu uczciwość, tego typu konsekwencja zostanie doceniona. Moje ćwiczenie, moje granie polega na tym, że staram się robić to co myślę, to co czuję w sposób najbardziej wierny, grając maluję rzeczywistość, która we mnie się dzieję. Staram się i liczę na to, że to będzie odbierane, że ja będę wciążczytany. I że to będzie odbierane przez publiczność jako dobro, jako wartość.

What would you say If you were to describe yourself in a few words, explain to someone what do you do?

How would I explain to people what it is that I do? (la ugh) What do I do in music? You know, It's difficult for me, but lets give it a try.
I'll speak from polish perspective. I mean, in our country improvised music is still something little known. We, improvising musicians, are still perceived as people who did not make their own choices but are doomed to do what we do because we are lacking in skills, or maybe we're unable to adjust to the commonly accepted style of music.
I was supposed to talk about myself though, so here it is:

with Jay Rosen and Joe McPhee. After the recording session
of Not Two cd "Intimate Conversations". 01.11.2006 in Alchemia
I'm a saxophone player, I'm not a composer, but I'd call myself rather amusic maker, I make music, I dabble in sewing pieces of music together. I don't compose, meaning I rarely sit down and write. I build the music up, it simply results from my work, my practice, from my inner hearing. I make music that I can hear is inside me. I try to capture it, I try to translate it and voice it out. I'm trying to do it so that this inner portrait of music I have, It would be presented in the most accurate way there is. I mean so there would be no cunningness, no artificial nicety in it, but the music I play would mirror perfectly my thoughts and my emotions.
I hope that this kind of honesty, this kind of consequence will be appreciated. My practicing, my playing is an effort to present what I feel and what I think in the most faithful way possible. While playing I paint the reality that's inside me. I hope it will be perceived, and that I will be constantly 'read' by others. I hope it will be received as something good, as a great value.


2. Mówisz o malowaniu rzeczywistości, czy mają wpływ na to początki Twojej edukacji - Akademia Sztuk Pięknych.

Długo się tego wypierałem, myślałem, że odchodząc z Akademii Sztuk Pięknych zdecydowałem się iść drogą tylko i wyłącznie muzyczną, ale teraz zorientowałem się, że jednak czas moich studiów, czas edukacji malarskiej bądź co bądź, przez wiele lat, bo ja jestem z rodziny malarskiej, artystycznej i byłem wykształconym artystą, i w liceum plastycznym i potem właściwie Akademia była takim naturalnym następstwem w moim życiu, zauważyłem, że język, którym się posługuję i sposób myślenia o muzyce bardziej bierze się z edukacji wizualnej niż muzycznej. Edukacja muzyczna jest dla mnie jednak wtórna, pierwotna jest plastyczna. Czyli sposób dociekania, sposób zadawania sobie pytań, nawet sposób literackiej narracji tego co robię ma bardziej charakter związany z opowieścią wizualną, aczkolwiek to się gdzieś tutaj spotyka.

in Alchemia. 2007
You talk aboutpainting the reality, how is what you do influenced by your educationyour studies at the Arts Academy.

I had been denying this influence for a long time. When I left the Arts Academy I was sure I made a definitive choicethat my path would be music, exclusively. But now I realized that time of my studies, time of education as a painter, for many years in fact - I come from artistic family, I was a trained artist, I had attended a profiled high school, the Academy was a sort of natural next step for me... Anyway I realized that the language I use, my way of thinking about music comes from my visual arts education, not the musical one. Visual education is primary for me, musical is secondary. The way I inquire about things, how I ask questions, even the sort of literary narration of what I doit's all closer in character to a visual story. Even if somehow it all meets in the end.

(photos by Krzysztof Penarski http://photofreejazz.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels great when someone's reading what I'm writing! Please leave a comment if there's anything on Your mind concerning the post (or other subjects) and come back soon.